That Kind of Love

Friday, February 13, 2009

It's that time of the year again. People appreciate their loved ones through cards, roses, chocolates and even stuffed toys. Lovers go date somewhere. People profess their admiration to their crushes... Oh, the things people do for love.

Of all the kinds of love that exists in this world, the kind of love which really intrigues me is a parent's love, especially a father's love for his daughter. What is it that makes a father write a song about giving away his daughter in marriage, and why is it hard to let her go? If you've heard "Butterfly Kisses" by Bob Carlisle, you know what I'm talking about. Countless love songs make you happy or sad, but only few let you feel both emotions at the same time, and one of those few are songs written by a father for his daughter.

Maybe I'm thinking about this too much today since I'm the daughter of my father. (Wow. What a way to describe myself.) It must be really hard to raise someone up, spend all your time and effort on him/her, then let him/her go. It's an amazing love, to the point that it is kind of more than sacrificial.

I want to love like that one day. (Haha. Im saying this and I don't even have a love life!) It must be hard, but it sure is a rewarding kind of love.

*****


Cinderella - Steven Curtis Chapman

[Verse 1:]
She spins and she sways to whatever song plays,
Without a care in the world.
And I'm sitting here wearing the weight of the world on my shoulders.
It's been a long day and there's still work to do,
She's pulling at me saying "Dad I need you!
There's a ball at the castle and I've been invited and I need to practice my dancin'"
"Oh please, daddy, please!"

[Chorus:]
So I will dance with Cinderella
While she is here in my arms
'Cause I know something the prince never knew
Oh I will dance with Cinderella
I don't want to miss even one song
'Cause all too soon the clock will strike midnight
And she'll be gone.

[Verse 2:]
She says he's a nice guy and I'd be impressed
She wants to know if I approve of the dress
She says, "Dad the prom is just one week away
And I need to practice my dancin'
"Oh please, daddy , please!"

[Chorus]

[Verse 3:]
But she came home today with a ring on her hand
Just glowin' and tellin' us all they had planned
She says, "Dad the wedding's still six months away but I need to practice my dancin'
"Oh please, daddy , please!"

[Chorus]

0 comments: