The Reluctant Lasallian

Saturday, February 14, 2009

Before going about my usual business of doing schoolwork with the aid of the internet, I need to get this thought out of my mind and heart. I've been in La Salle for almost two years now, and to be honest, I am still learning to love my present-day alma mater.

It's just so hard to know that you are going to this school when another part of you screams out to be part of another university. Well, that's how I feel sometimes. There are times when I already like walking down those marble-polished floors, but there are days when I wish I was elsewhere. I was accepted in other universities I favor even more. I even got the courses that I liked in those places, but why did I end up going to La Salle?

It still is a big mystery to me. I cannot believe I said during that Star Scholarship interview (a fully-waived tuition fee program during your whole stay in the school, plus other benefits, which I unfortunately was not accepted in) that I would study in La Salle even if I was not accepted in the scholarship program. I chose La Salle over other schools because of my course. Period. I cannot understand my reasoning even up till now.

There are still those times when that thought of shifting out to another school enters my brain, but my heart says otherwise. Even when there I times I dislike saying I am a Lasallian, I continue to be one, because God continues to whisper in my heart to be one.

I was once one of those normal sixth grade students who would settle for any high school in my area, but somehow, through His invisible hand, God led me to Philippine Science, which up till now, was an experience I still cannot fathom. Here He showed me , through graduating with honors, that I was capable of more than I thought I could be.

I will continue to trust Him, because even if I cannot understand where I am heading right now, He has his best intentions for me in His heart.

"In his heart a man plans his course, but the Lord determines his steps." - Proverbs 16:24

P.S. This experience inspired this poem of mine.

P.S.S. Happy Valentine's Day!!!

1 comments:

Kevin said...

It's funny on how that verse, too, was one I discovered in my college (which happens to be a La Salle as well) when I was thinking the same thought you are in this post.

Connections, yes?