Your Will Be Done

Tuesday, January 6, 2009

17 The third time he said to him, "Simon son of John, do you love me?"

Peter was hurt because Jesus asked him the third time, "Do you love me?" He said, "Lord, you know all things; you know that I love you."

Jesus said, "Feed my sheep. 18 I tell you the truth, when you were younger you dressed yourself and went where you wanted; but when you are old you will stretch out your hands, and someone else will dress you and lead you where you do not want to go." 19 Jesus said this to indicate the kind of death by which Peter would glorify God. Then he said to him, "Follow me!"

20 Peter turned and saw that the disciple whom Jesus loved was following them. (This was the one who had leaned back against Jesus at the supper and had said, "Lord, who is going to betray you?") 21 When Peter saw him, he asked, "Lord, what about him?"

22 Jesus answered, "If I want him to remain alive until I return, what is that to you? You must follow me." 23 Because of this, the rumor spread among the brothers that this disciple would not die. But Jesus did not say that he would not die; he only said, "If I want him to remain alive until I return, what is that to you?" - John 21:17-23


This was the scenario wherein Jesus informed Peter of the kind of death he would go through to glorify God. (Peter later died by being crucified upside-down.) Surely, anyone who hears about the way they would die (especially if they have to go through a very painful one) would be terrified. The inspiring thing is, Peter submitted to God's will because he knew that God was in control.

This passage "knocked" on my heart again here in our Tagaytay retreat. Though the retreat is about prayer, God's will still remains. A prayer is only answered if it is in accordance with His will, and it must be mighty hard when things don't go about the way we planned them to be.

Another passage I was reminded about was when Job said, "God may kill me, but still I will trust Him. (CEV)" Job's faith in God is really amazing! Reading the stories of these people, and how they put their trust in God really challenges modern Christians (especially those in countries wherein sharing the Word does no have grave consequences). I want to be like these people too... Those who just tell God, "Lord, not my will, but Your will be done."*

0 comments: